Sunshine Cremation Is Fighting Back At High Funeral Costs
It is costly to die in Florida.
What Does It Cost?
The average cost of a funeral with viewing and ceremony, followed by burial, in Boca Raton is approximately $17,000 (according to the National Funeral Directors Association and the consumer website PerfectGoodbyes).
Let me repeat that….it can cost up to $17,000 to die in Boca Raton if no-prearrangements are in place and the deceased is buried.
I don’t know about you, but I think that $17,000 is obscene and is unacceptable.
The cost of a funeral includes all sorts of “stuff” that is required by cemeteries and funeral homes but, in reality, isn’t needed.
And the average cost of cremation in South Florida isn’t much less.
Among the items that are “required” include cemetery vaults (they are not required by law but are a profit opportunity for most cemeteries), embalming, and ridiculously expensive caskets.
Why Do Funerals Cost So Much?
The funeral industry has gone through decades of corporate consolidation. The rationale for large Wall Street-controlled funeral and cemetery companies to take over local family-owned businesses was that consolidation would reduce consumer prices.
Corporate entities argued that greater efficiencies would result in lower operating costs and that consumer prices would go down.
Well, it should be no surprise that the corporate consolidators lied when they made these statements.
Instead of lower costs being passed on to consumers, the large funeral companies used their market power to raise prices and increase shareholder profits and executive pay and bonuses.
As a recent set of articles describes, “big funeral” companies are not consumer advocates and funeral expenses are now out of reach for most families.
According to Victoria Haneman, a professor at Creighton University School of Law
Thanks to the efforts of Big Funeral, the industry holds a monopoly on the afterlife – and it’s pricing people out of dying.
What You Need To Know…
- Sunshine Cremation is not a “big funeral” company. We are locally owned and controlled and not beholden to out-of-town investors trying to make a quick buck.
- Sunshine Cremation has cremation plans starting at $0 and rising to $1,495 for including a free urn ($200 to $400 estimated retail value). The free cremation plans require body donation to science with cremated remains being returned to the family at the end of the research process.
- Sunshine Cremation does not believe that spending more on a funeral or cremation is an expression of love for the person who died.
- We do not upsell and we never suggest a more expensive alternative when a less costly solution is available.
- We try to do the right thing, every time. We know that every family we care for is vulnerable and we do our best to protect each customer from those who want to take advantage of this unique moment of vulnerability.
These are just a few of the reasons Sunshine Cremation Services has the most 5-star Google Reviews in South Florida and is #1 Yelp rated.
If you would like to learn more about how we can be of service to your family, please call us at 561-717-2876.
9070 Kimberly Boulevard
Boca Raton, FL 33434
© 2022 Sunshine Cremation Services LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Privacy Notice.
All Funeral Services will be provided by either Sunshine Cremation Services or its parent company Kronish, Sunshine & Co., a licensed funeral establishment. This website is for informational purposes only. No funeral services are being offered and sold herein.
Leave a Comment