What Do I Do Next?
Notify Social Security
- You may be eligible to receive Social Security death benefits.
- Contact SSN by calling 1-800-772-1213, www.socialsecurity.gov, or visit your local Social Security office.
Credit Reporting Agencies
- Minimize the chance of identity theft by providing copies of the death certificate to the three major firms as soon as possible. Ask for the account to be flagged as "Deceased. Do Not Issue Credit."
- Equifax 1-888-548-7878
- Experian 1-888-397-3742
- TransUnion 1-800-916-8800
Terminate Insurance Policies
- Life Insurance
Close The Following
- Bank Accounts - will need to bring an original copy of the death certificate
- Safety Deposit Boxes - will need to bring an original copy of the death certificate
- Investment Accounts - will need to bring an original copy of the death certificate
- Credit Card Accounts - change or reestablish joint accounts
- Cell Phone - turn off
- Internet / Cable - turn off or change account information
- DMV - change the title to cars or other vehicles. Do the same for watercraft with the appropriate agency.